Oncology Rehab Program
The Oncology Rehab Program at Bacharach offers a wide range of exercise and treatment designed to maximize mobility and function while improving overall well-being.
Cancer and the side effects of cancer treatment may affect balance and coordination, energy level and endurance, and range of motion. Therapists in the oncology program can offer treatment, education, strategies and support to help manage the side effects of cancer treatment.
Cancer-related Fatigue, CRF
Close to 80% of people undergoing treatment for cancer report experiencing Cancer-related Fatigue. CRF is a feeling of being tired that does not improve with additional sleep.
CRF symptoms may include:
- Lack of energy
- Difficulty concentrating
- Loss of appetite
- Tiredness even after a full night’s sleep
Bacharach’s oncology therapists can design the right CRF program to improve endurance and help patients to return to their prior level of function.
- Targeted stretching and strengthening
- Gentle progressive resistance techniques
- Soft tissue and manual therapy
- Energy conservation techniques
Peripheral neuropathy is another side effect of chemo, causing numbness and tingling in the extremities. It may also cause:
- Difficulty walking
- Muscular weakness
- Increased risk of falls and balance disturbances
Lymphedema is swelling caused by poor circulation of the lymph system. It is a common side effect of surgery, particularly when the lymph nodes are removed.
Lymphedema certified therapists can offer
- Gentle manual therapy
- Education on proper skin care
- Scar tissue mobilization
- Measurement for special compression garments
Head and Neck Cancer
Bacharach offers the oncology patient evidence-based assessments and therapy techniques.
- Clinical swallow evaluations
- Modified barium swallow studies
- M. D. Anderson Dysphagia Inventory (MDADI)
- Eating Assessment Tool (EAT-10)
- Penetration-Aspiration Scale (PAS)
- Swallowing quality of Life (SWAL-QOL) survey
- Iowa Oral Performance Instrument (IOPI)
- Cervical and thoracic myofascial release
- Visi-Pitch for biofeedback voice therapy
- Thermal stimulation
- Sensory awareness therapy for taste and smell
- Meditation therapy for cognition and dysphagia therapies
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation
- Manual muscle manipulation therapy for improved vocal function
- Head and neck lymphedema management