Otago Exercise and Fall Prevention Program
Reduce patient falls up to 35% with the Otago Exercise Program.
The Otago Exercise Program is an evidence- based strength, balance and exercise program for high risk older adults, shown to reduce falls among the elderly by 30% to 35%. After evaluation, they receive skilled therapy until they earn to perform 17 exercises safely and correctly. Once they master the exercises, they can perform them daily at home.
Our staff follows up with a phone call each month to make sure they are doing the exercises.
There may be home visits or office visits if needed.
Otago Fall Prevention improves strength and balance, the two most common underlying fall risk factors.
- Seniors who fall are 2 to 3 times more likely to fall again.
- Half of all adults over age 80 fall each year.
- Falls are the cause of death for more that 18,000 seniors each year.
- Falls cause hip fractures and a cascade of consequences such as surgery and nursing home admissions.
Primary care providers are best positioned to refer senior patients to Bacharach’s Fall Prevention Program.
- Screen all patients over 65 for falls annually.
- Use the american Geriatrics Society guidelines or the CDC’s STEADI toolkit.
- Refer patients with poor balance and mobility to Bacharach’s Otago Exercise Program.
Who should be referred to the Otago Exercise Program?
- People who report falling in the last year.
- People who have muscle weakness or balance problems.
- People with fear of falling.
Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans should cover the program.
The Otago Exercise Program is outpatient therapy provided by physical therapists certified in the program. It is one-on-one therapy with a year of monitoring for people who have balance problems, muscle weakness or are otherwise at risk for falls.
Bacharach offers the Otago Exercise Program at a number of locations. Use our form to contact us to learn more: